Origin of the Longmeadow
by Mrs George Brewer, Board member- Longmeadow
December 10, 1912
This following article was published in Volume
1, No. 1 issue of The Town
Some may not know that the
inspiration resulting in the organization of the
Longmeadow Historical Society originated in the
Longmeadow Woman's Club.
At a meeting with Mrs. T. W. Leete on December
28, 1898, the president, Mrs. D. T. Smith, after
the completion of the program, called a business
meeting when Mrs. Leete strongly advocated the
organization of an Historical Society in
Longmeadow. Mrs. Leete and Miss Alice L. Noble
were appointed to confer with Dr. S. G. Barnes
and look the matter up.
In March, 1899, Mrs.
Leete and Miss Noble reported very favorably to
the Club and much enthusiasm was aroused on June
3 at a meeting of the Sewing Society in the
chapel. Dr. Barnes presided at an informal
gathering, in which Mrs. J. B. Burbank served as
secretary, and there was a discussion of a
constitution and by-laws. A number of things of
historic value were shown and interest in the
project greatly stimulated.
On October 26 and 27
a splendid loan exhibition was held, which far
exceeded expectations, and on November 23, 1899,
at a meeting in the chapel, W. B. Medlicott,
having procured the incorporation papers in
Boston, a permanent organization was formed and
these officers elected: President, Dr. S. G.
Barnes VicePresident, Miss Alice L. Noble
Secretary and Treasurer, Mrs. G. M. McQueen
Directors, W. B. Medlicott, Mrs. T. W. Leete,
Mrs. W. S. Bacon, Miss Josephine Meacham. The
object of the Society was to prepare and receive
historical papers, provide lectures, collect old
papers, furniture, and articles illustrating the
life of past days, and develop an interest in
the history of the town.
From Mrs. George Brewer's
Check back often to read new articles as they are