HOMEABOUTSTORRS HOUSETOWN HISTORYTBTNEWS/EVENTSMAPSLINKSFINDING AID MUSEUM STORE
STORRS HOUSE  

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The History of the Storrs House

Linda Abrams- Curator, Storrs House
(2010)
Mabel Swanson- Curator, Storrs House
and Peter Santos,
Longmeadow Historical Society (1987)

THE STORRS HOUSE was built in 1786 for the Reverend Richard Salter Storrs, the second pastor of the First Church of Christ in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. His home was built on ministerial property and stood on the land in front of our present town library. Three generations of the Storrs family lived in the house. The last members, Richard Salter Storrs, III and his sister Sarah Storrs, donated the property in 1907 for a library.

In the 1860’s a granddaughter of Richard Salter Storrs, Lucy Storrs Barber, conducted a private girls’ school in the southeast room which we call the Music Room. The girls probably used the outside south door to come and to go.

Stephen Williams, the first pastor of the First Church of Christ in Longmeadow, built his house about where the Community House now stands. He died in 1782. When this house burned in 1846 many of the Williams’ family possessions were lost. Fortunately though, many things were saved including town records and two beautiful chests which his wife, Abigail Davenport brought with her as a bride. Reverend Williams also kept a diary throughout the pre-Revolutionary War period which was transcribed. His diary is available online at the Storrs Library website.

An interesting fact is that Richard Salter Storrs’ second wife was Stephen Williams’ granddaughter. Therefore, most of the contents of the Storrs House belonged to the Williams and Storrs pastors and their descendants.

As time went on, the Longmeadow Historical Society was organized in 1899.  In 1911 the president, Mr. John Harding, called an annual meeting and it was voted to purchase the entire collection.

When the present library was built in 1932, the Storrs House was moved to its present location.  A bedroom and kitchen on the north side were removed including the east wall of the dining room, so the present dining room is smaller than the original.

When the house was redecorated, the original colors were found under many layers of paint. As was traditionally used in Connecticut Valley homes the parlor on the right as you come in the front door was usually blue. The parlor on the left was yellow and the dining room was green. Any paint left over was mixed together for the hall.

The Longmeadow Historical Society’s archives contain many original maps, diaries, account books, old photographs, documents and family histories of Longmeadow’s earliest families.

Take some time to stop in to visit and to learn about Longmeadow history. The Storrs House is usually open to the public during the annual Long Meddowe Days celebration in late May and 1-2 times/ month during the spring, summer and fall seasons.  Watch for the open houses on our event calendar.



Longmeadow Historical Society

697 Longmeadow Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106
(413) 567-3600
LongmeadowHS@gmail.com


Website Design by LongmeadowBiz, LLC