HOMEABOUT USOUR HISTORYTOWN HISTORY#TBTNEWS-EVENTSMAPSLINKSFINDING AID MUSEUM STORE
ARCHIVE- HISTORY NOTES  

Matthew's Swamp

by Elizabeth Hoff, LHS Board Member
April 30
, 2020

How did colonial communities in Massachusetts deal with outbreaks of highly communicable and deadly diseases?

Like now, one solution was to isolate the afflicted persons to contain the spread of the disease. In Longmeadow and Springfield, the sick were sent to the David Burt's pest house in Matthew’s Swamp (exact location is not known.).

Note: A pest house, plague house or fever shed was a type of building used for persons afflicted with communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, cholera, smallpox or typhus.


Prior to the smallpox vaccination in 1796, you could obtain immunity from smallpox either through contracting the disease or through inoculation (exposure to a milder version of the disease).  Since a small percentage of inoculated persons acquired the full-blown disease, patients were treated as if they were as infectious as those who had acquired the disease naturally and they were isolated from the general population until the disease had run its course (3-5 weeks).



In mid-January, 1761, Samuel Williams and several other men from Longmeadow were inoculated and subsequently went to live in isolation at Matthew’s Swamp. Rev. Stephen Williams, Samuel’s father and the first pastor of Longmeadow, visited them frequently (at a distance) during their month-long stay and wrote of his concern for them in his diary:
  • January 26 – “We are concerned about ye people at Matthew’s Swamp.  Some of them begin to break out.  They are in God’s hands.  His tender mercies are all over his works and his creatures.”
  • January 29 – “Ye account from Matthew’s Swamp comfortable about 2 o’clock, but toward night we heard that my son and Abner Bliss had a purge – the Lord graciously relieve and help them – and prevent any ill effect of it – and annodine was sent out in the evening.”  On January 30 he reported that the annodine treatment was helpful. 
Other groups of men were inoculated on February 24 and March 11. These men also recuperated at Matthew’s Swamp and all of the inoculated men recovered.

On October 31, 1765, David Burt deeded Matthew's Swamp and all of the buildings on it to his sons, David and Elijah.

Sources
Stephen Williams Diary, Volume V
Deed Oct. 31, 1765 David Burt to Elijah and David Burt
Longmeadow Historical Society archives


Check back to the History Notes Archive often to read new articles as they are posted.


Longmeadow Historical Society

697 Longmeadow Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106
(413) 567-3600
LongmeadowHS@gmail.com
 
Website Design by LongmeadowBiz, LLC